What to pack for the hospital?
Hospital the Checklist, packing for 3 to 4 days hospital stay.
We all hope that it will be a short and beautiful labour, but even I minor issue can keep you there for a few days, and you want to be prepared for that.
With your due date approaching and preparations at home well underway, it’s time to think about packing a hospital bag for mum. When the time comes you will want to know your bag is packed with all the clothing, documents, toiletries and essentials you’ll need for a comfortable stay in the birthing suite.
The bag you use is entirely up to you, but make sure it’s the right size to hold everything you need without being too big to carry or fit in a car. We recommend picking a hospital bag that’s noticeable, easy to grab in a hurry, and won’t slow you down on the way to the hospital.
What to Pack in a hospital bag for Mummy
- Health insurance and Medicare cards, plus any hospital paperwork
- Birth plan, maternity notes and antenatal card
- Paper and pen ( included in our 'Ready to Go' pack)
- Loose, comfortable clothing
- Old nightgown or oversized t-shirt for labour
- Pregnancy crop top bra
- Comfortable socks (included in 'Ready to Go' labour bag)
- Dressing gown (with a front opening if you plan to breastfeed)
- Disposable pants (included in 'Ready to Go' labour bag)
- Going-home clothes
- Travel essentials: Toothbrush and paste, body wash, shampoo and conditioner, deodorant, hairbrush, dry shampoo. (included in 'Ready to Go' labour bag)
- Lip balm (included in 'Ready to Go' labour bag)
- Nursing pads (included in 'Ready to Go' labour bag)
- Maternity pads (included in 'Ready to Go' labour bag)
- Massage oil or cream (included in 'Ready to Go' labour bag)
- Hairband or tie (included in 'Ready to Go' labour bag)
- Glasses and spare contact lenses if needed
- Any medication you currently take
- Face wipes or Magic towels (included in 'Ready to Go' labour bag)
- Calming activities – magazines, books, crosswords
- Phone and charger
- Healthy snacks and drinks (we have added some for you)
- Plastic bag for dirty laundry
What to Pack for Baby
- 3x Onesies and sleepsuits
- Baby wipes ( included in our 'Ready to Go' pack)
- Nappies ( 1 sample included in our 'Ready to Go' pack for just in case)
- Hat to keep warm
- 5x Bibs or bandanas
- Sleeping bag TOG 1.5 or 2 for winter or 0.5 - 1 for summer
- Baby car seat
- Baby toiletries ( included in our 'Ready to Go' pack)
- Baby Body lotion SUPER IMPORTANT!!
When should you start packing your hospital bag?
It’s never too early to get the essentials together. By the time you’re 36 weeks you will want to have mum’s hospital bag packed and waiting, in case you need to go in a hurry.
We know, it is hard to think about a mums needs when there is so much to organize for the little one, that's why we have curated our amazing 'Ready to Go' Labour Pack, so that you don't need to worry about it and keep buying cute clothes and toys for the baby.
Why choose Mamas Kangaroo?
At Mamas Kangaroo, we want to help pregnant women and new Mums be as comfortable as possible. With a range of hospital musts easy to find on our online store, as well as tips and tricks for new and expecting Mums on our blog, we’re here for you.
Our products are specially designed based on feedback from Mums with high quality, comfortable material. You can also sign up to our free newsletter below for guides, useful information and more, direct from our community of Mums.
Because we want to:
save you time, money and unnecessary stress.